Saturday, November 19, 2011

Milk v.l

When Lila was born she has some fluid in her lungs. The doctor placed her on my chest immediately after she was born. My eyes were on her as she took her first breath. I rubbed her all over and had the most magical moment of my life. The nurse listened to her lungs and told me she would need to take her for a moment. I watch Jeff stand next to the nurse as she vigorously rubbed Lila in hopes to make her cry. She didn't let out a peep. Crying would help move the liquid from her lungs. These were the longest 60 seconds ever. Not because I was scared, I knew Lila would be okay... I just wanted her back in my arms. The nurse gave her back and told me to nurse her. This would move the fluid too. Nurse her? Umm okay? I had no idea what to do. I had taken a class, seen my mother nurse my younger brothers, and read a few paragraphs in a book. I decide I would trust Lila to show me what to do. Nature would know. Lila was so smart already.S She knew how to get the nourishment she needed. For an hour or so she sucked on one nipple. A new nurse came to move me to the recovery room and take Lila and daddy to the nursery for the routine tests... etc. I told the nurse know she was eating to which she responded "she will do that all day if you let her.". Almost 8 months later I would say the best thing I did with breastfeeding was to let her nurse any and every time she wanted. The first couple of weeks my nipples were bleeding and every time she latched on I could have screamed. Soooo painful. My told me to give ourselves 6 weeks to get it figured out. When Lila was six weeks old we took our first trip... When we returned she was eight weeks old and we had it mastered. (although it keeps getting easier and more natural.).
The basic rules are babies need nothing more then milk until a year old. But every baby is different. When Lila turns one will she suddenly need more? I am going to trust Lila and me and jeffs instinct to tell me what she needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment